John G. Riley House Museum & Center Collection

Item set


John G. Riley House Museum & Center Collection


The John G. Riley House was built in 1890 at 419 East Jefferson Street, Tallahassee, Florida. After Riley’s death, his family continued to live there until 1973. The city bought the property and planned to build an electrical substation on the site. The Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board researched the site and in 1978 the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The house now serves as a museum/center in his honor. The mission of the museum is to preserve the cultural and educational history for African Americans in the Tallahassee area and the state of Florida, from Reconstruction era through the Civil War rights movements. The collection contains information concerning the development of the John G. Riley House Museum & Center as well as the day-to-day legwork of the museum & center. The files range from program information to displays to grants.

Physical Location

John Gilmore Riley Museum & Center Collection, John G. Riley House Archives, Tallahassee Community College Library, Tallahassee, Florida.


Advanced search